HLB attorneys have decades of experience representing clients in complex health care merger and acquisition transactions, and in structuring and negotiating the corporate and regulatory aspects of these transactions. We have represented the buyer or the seller in more than half of the hospital acquisitions in California over the last decade, as well as handling hundreds of mergers and acquisitions of every conceivable type of health care provider, supplier or related organization, including medical groups and independent practice associations (IPAs), ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs), home health agencies, skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), pharmacies, health plans and practice management companies.
Each of our transactional lawyers is also a regulatory lawyer, so the two disciplines are merged into one in M&A transactions. Bifurcating the work between a transactional firm and a regulatory firm is more expensive for the client and can lead to a poor result if there is not close collaboration between the two firms
Our attorneys are nationally recognized experts in the key regulatory and transactional issues that impact health care mergers and acquisitions, including handling change of ownership and related issues regarding licensure, Medicare and Medicaid certification and enrollment. We consult with our clients on application and enforcement of Stark, federal and state anti-kickback and false claims laws and regulations, as well as payment, reimbursement and potential successor liability issues related to mergers and acquisitions.
Our attorneys also regularly speak and publish on the compliance facets of health care transactions, including mergers and acquisitions.
HLB’s Health Care Merger & Acquisition services include:
- Representing buyers and sellers of all types of health care providers, suppliers, managed care organizations and related business organizations.
- Representing hospitals, physician-owned organizations and physician groups in joint ventures, ACOs, clinically integrated network (CIN) development and similar hospital/physician alignment transactions.
- Representing hospitals, physician practices, medical foundations and physician practice management companies in physician practice acquisitions.
- Representing venture capital and private equity firms, as well as owners, in purchases and sales of health care providers, as well as in investment and liquidation event transactions.
- Handling Scott-Hart-Rodino filings, State Attorney General filings and hearings and similar regulatory approval processes.
- Syndication of hospitals, imaging centers, ambulatory surgical centers and other health care providers.
- Formation of health care joint ventures, including joint venture hospitals, cancer centers, imaging centers, sleep centers, and ambulatory surgical centers.
- Medical office building acquisitions.
- Health care due diligence for transactions, as regulatory counsel.
- January 1, 2018
- August 16, 2017
- August 1, 2017
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Represents NantWorks in its Majority Aquisition of Verity Health's Management CompanyJuly 5, 2017