- 2000, California
Zuzana S. Ikels is a litigation partner in the firm's San Francisco Office. The focus of her practice includes handling complex commercial disputes in health care and health care technology.
Ms. Ikels has successfully defended her clients against dozens of consumer class actions involving federal and state consumer-protection statutes and privacy laws, the False Claims Act, and other complex business disputes. She has an in-depth knowledge of IT and Big Data infrastructures, from advising on electronic records and retention programs. privacy and consent policies, devising strategic, e-discovery plans, database discovery and Big Data analytics.
Through her extensive knowledge of federal and state statutes and regulations governing health care privacy and security, Ms. Ikels devises creative and results-oriented legal strategies in high-stakes litigation. She has handled dozens of complex disputes and class actions involving federal and state competition, consumer protection statutes and other privacy-related laws. She frequently counsels, presents on, and writes about privacy, interoperability, transparency, consent, and other cutting edge laws and regulations, which effect the health care and heath care technology providers.
- Obtained a dismissal of a hospital client from a qui tam action in California state court Relaters: 54 insurance carriers asserted violations of California's Insurance Fraud Prevention Act, the False Claims Act and Unfair Competition Law (UCL) related to purported insurance billing fraud and counterfeit implants. A number of defendants were out-of-state individual and corporate defendants including our client. Plaintiffs maintained that all of the defendants -- hospitals. surgeons, distributors, and sales representatives --conspired together, despite their geographic and occupational diversity and the fact that many are direct competitors. We filed a motion challenging the personal jurisdiction. which the Court granted and dismissed the hospital from the action.
- Represented one of the largest. national providers of health care services against a novel, corporate negligence theory in medical malpractice case.
- Represented a Southern California hospital in a qui tam action alleging insurance billing fraud, and related personal injury suits.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a physician's lawsuit regarding a medical staff privileging decision.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of a putative TCPA lawsuit, on the pleadings, in the Southern District of California, on the grounds that the plaintiff was a serial filer who solicited and invited solicitations and telemarketing calls, appeared to consent to the calls, and the calls did not qualify as telemarketing calls. Knutson v. Blue Light Security (U.S. District Court, Southern Dist. of California, March 5, 2018).
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Executive Committee of the Litigation Section. 2016-2019
- Barrister Edward J. McFetridge American Inn of Court, 2011-2014
- American Constitution Society, Bay Area Chapter, 2009-2011
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys
Honors & Awards
- Selected as one of California's "Top 20 Under 40" in 2012 by the California Daily Journal
- Selected for inclusion in Northern California Super Lawyers, Business Litigation, and Top Northern California Women Attorneys, 2013-present
Health Law Perspectives
- June 2018