Vassar College, B.A., 2006
University of California, Berkeley School of Law, J.D., 2012
- 2012, California
- 2016, District of Columbia
David J. Vernon is a partner in the firm’s regulatory department, where he assists health care providers, including hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and physicians with a broad range of licensing and certification, reimbursement, fraud and abuse, and compliance issues. He focuses his practice on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, especially on Graduate Medical Education reimbursement, and on licensing and certification. Mr. Vernon is a co-founder of the firm’s Academic Medical Center/Teaching Hospitals Working Group and a member of the firm's Fraud & Abuse Practice Group.
Mr. Vernon received his B.A. degree in Neuroscience and Behavior from Vassar College in 2006, graduating with departmental and general honors. He received his J.D. degree from the University of California, Berkeley, School of Law in May 2012, where he was Co-President of the Boalt Healthcare and Biotech Law Society.
In law school, Mr. Vernon worked as a research assistant for the Warren Institute’s Health, Economic & Family Security Program on legal issues impacting the creation of safety-net ACOs. He was also a two-time Prosser Prize winner and an Advocacy Award winner.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Vernon worked as the research analyst to the President/CEO of the Association of American Medical Colleges, where he published a number of articles in peer-reviewed biomedical journals.
- Assisting health care providers, including skilled nursing facilities and residential care facilities for the elderly with regulatory compliance, licensure and certification, payment, and operational issues.
- Assisting health care clients in addressing complex regulatory issues that arise in the context of mergers, acquisitions, reorganizations and related transactions.
- Advising health care providers on various reimbursement issues under the Medicare and Medicaid programs, including GME reimbursements.
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section (since 2012)
- American Health Lawyers Association (since 2012), Academic Medical Center/Teaching Hospital and Regulation, Accreditation, and Payment Practice Group Member, AMC/TH PG Leadership Development Program Participant (2017-2018), AMC/TH PG Social Media Coordinator (2018-2019)
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys (since 2012)
- D.C. Bar, Health Law Section (since 2016)
Honors & Awards
- 2018-2019 Washington, D.C. Rising Star in Health Care Law, Super Lawyers
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- July 17, 2019
- Veterans Administration/TRICARE, presented at HLB Seminar: Post ACA Changes to Government and Private Managed Care Markets, April 28, 2015 and April 30, 2015 (presenter).
- Implementing the Affordable Care Act in California presented at Berkeley School of Law – Warren Institute’s Health, Economic & Family Security Program event, April 13, 2011 (co-presenter)
- January 7, 2020
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- June 14, 2019
- June 4, 2019
- June 3, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
- April 23, 2019
- March 7, 2019
- December 2018HLB Health Law Perspectives
- November 15, 2018Health Law Perspectives
- July 15, 2018
- CMS Proposes Changes to Telehealth Reimbursement, Stark, Substance Use Disorder Treatment Reimbursement, and Evaluation & Management Reimbursement in the CY 2019 Physician Fee Schedule Proposed RuleJuly 14, 2018
- July 2, 2018
- June 7, 2018
Health Law Perspectives
- November 4, 2019
- June 20, 2019
- March 27, 2019
- May 1, 2014
- ABA Health Law eSource, September 2018
Payments for Hospital Services Under Medicare Parts A and B, BNA’s Health Law & Business Series, 2014-2018 (acknowledged contributor and author of the Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility chapter).
Three New Rounds of Residency Slot Redistribution; Applications Due Soon, HLB Perspectives, October 2016 (author).
Medicaid Rate Challenges Before and After Armstrong v. Exceptional Child Center, Inc., 28 The Health Lawyer 16, February 2016 (co-author).
California Medicaid Rate Challenges, Volume XXXIII California Health Law News 10, Summer/Fall 2015 (co-author).
California Hospital Compliance Manual, California Hospital Association, February 2015, 6th Ed. (contributing writer).
Hospital Financial Assistance Policies and Community Benefit Laws, January 2015, 1st Ed. (acknowledged author).
Risks for Providers Under the Risk Adjustment Program, Health Law Perspectives, May 2014 (co-author).
CMS Agrees to Clarify Medicare’s Maintenance Coverage Standards in Proposed Settlement Agreement, Health Law Perspectives, November 2012 (co-author).
Breaking Down Barriers to Creating Safety-Net Accountable Care Organizations: State Statutory and Regulatory Issues, Advancing National Health Reform, Warren Institute’s Health, Economic & Family Security Program Policy Brief, December 2011 (co-author).
Professional Behaviors of Physicians and Pursuing Social Justice—Reply, The Journal of the American Medical Association, September 23/30, 2009 at 302(12): 1269-1270 (Co-author with Dr. Darrell Kirch).
Planning the Future Mental Health Workforce: With Progress on Coverage, What Role Will Psychiatrists Play? Academic Psychiatry, May-June, 2009 at 33(3):187-192 (Co-author with Mr. Edward Salsberg, Ms. Clese Erikson, and Dr. Darrell Kirch).
The Ethical Foundation of American Medicine: In Search of Social Justice, The Journal of the American Medical Association, April 8, 2009 at 301(14):1482-1484 (Co-author with Dr. Darrell Kirch).
The Handbook of Academic Medicine: How Medical Schools and Teaching Hospitals Work, 2009 (co-author with William T. Mallon, Ed.D and colleagues at the AAMC).
Confronting the Complexity of the Physician Workforce Equation, The Journal of the American Medical Association, June 11, 2008 at 299(22):2680-2682 (Co-author with Dr. Darrell Kirch).