University of Wisconsin, Madison, B.A., honors
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2001
- 2001, California
Jennifer A. Hansen is a partner in the San Diego Office of Hooper, Lundy & Bookman. Ms. Hansen serves as co-chair of the firm's Medical Staff Practice Group and is a member of the firm's Fraud & Abuse Practice Group. Her practice includes representation of hospitals, medical staffs, nursing homes, physicians, pharmacies, and other healthcare providers and suppliers in a wide range of matters, including general litigation, medical staff law, managed care litigation, physician licensing, reimbursement, regulatory, and long-term care issues. She also represents hospitals and hospital systems, post-acute care providers, physicians, and other ancillary providers in managed care payment disputes, both contracted and non-contracted, with health care payors and has assisted provider clients collect millions of dollars in unpaid and underpaid patient claims through settlements and through arbitration and court proceedings, including obtaining awards of interest.
Ms. Hansen conducts investigations and advises clients on compliance issues relating to health care operations.
Ms. Hansen has served as counsel in multiple medical staff hearings and has defended physicians in numerous administrative hearings before the Medical Board of California. She has represented hospitals, long term care facilities and adult residential facilities in challenges to citations and deficiencies issued by the Department of Public Health and the Department of Social Services. Ms. Hansen has handled numerous cases before the Department of Health and Human Services Departmental Appeals Board. She has arbitrated and resolved a variety of cases for healthcare providers in dealings with health plans and insurance companies.
In 2010, Ms. Hansen was recognized by the San Diego Daily Transcript as one of San Diego’s outstanding young attorneys.
In addition to her health care practice, Ms. Hansen is firmly committed to community service. In 2009-2010, she received the California State Bar Association’s Wiley W. Manuel Award and Legal Aid Society of San Diego’s Outstanding Service Award.
Ms. Hansen earned her B.A. from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, with honors, and her J.D. from the University of Minnesota Law School.
- Supreme Court of California
- United States District Court - Southern District of California
- United States District Court - Central District of California
- United States District Court - Northern District of California
- United States District Court - Eastern District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Kendall v. Scripps Health, 16 Cal.App.5th 553 (2017) (successfully represented hospital on appeal where trial court properly refused to certify class of self-pay patients contesting hospital’s use of Chargemaster rates)
- Hefczyc v. Rady Children's Hospital-San Diego, 17 Cal.App.5th 518 (2017) (successfully represented hospital on appeal where trial court properly refused to certify class of self-pay patients contesting hospital's use of Chargemaster rates)
- Won arbitration proceeding for hospital system confirmed by the Ninth Circuit in Scripps v. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas (5/30/14) (Case No. 12-56493).
- American Health Lawyers Association - (ACO Credentialing Work Group; Healthcare Liability and Litigation Practice Group; Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group; MSCPR Leadership Development Program; and Payers, Plans & Managed Care Practice Group)
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys, Education Committee
- American Bar Association Health Law Section
- California Academy of Attorneys for Health Care Professionals
- California Association of Medical Staff Services
- Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Social Media Chair for the Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group for the American Health Lawyers Association (2016-2018)
- Past Co-Chair, San Diego County Bar Association's Law & Medicine Section
- Past Co-Chair, Lawyers Club Community Outreach Committee
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar, April 9, 2020
- Universal City, CA, May 23-24, 2019
- San Diego, CA, May 14, 2019
- Upland, CA, April 12, 2019
- March 5, 2019 - Oakland Marriott City Center, CA; March 12, 2019 - Westin Los Angeles Airport, CA
- Palm Springs, CA, November 11-14, 2018
- San Diego, May 22, 2018
- Carson, CA, September 7, 2017
- The Potential Impact of Health Reform, Changing Provider Contracts and Regulation on Managed Care ProvidersBerkeley: August 22, 2017 Los Angeles: August 24, 2017
- Long Beach, CA, June 1, 2017
- San Diego, CA, April 5, 2017
- Credentialing Strategies for All Provider Entities, CAMSS Annual Conference, Long Beach (June 2017)
- Two Sides of the 1157 Coin, CAMSS Annual Conference, Anaheim (May 2016)
- Privileging for New or Novel Procedures or Treatments, CAMSS Annual Education Forum (co-presenter) (May 2015)
- Improving the Payer & Provider Relationship, HFMA San Diego (co-presenter) (April 2015)
- ACO Credentialing and Peer Review: Essential Tools for Effective Clinical Integration, American Health Lawyers Association Webinar (co-presenter) (March 2015)
- 1206(l) Medical Foundations Operational Topics, Los Angeles County Bar Association (co-presenter) (February 2015)
- Surviving a 3.2 NHPPD Staffing Audit, California Association of Health Facilities (co-presenter) (November 2014)
- ACO Credentialing and Peer Review, California Society for Healthcare Attorneys (April 2014)
- Affordable Care Act: How it Affects the Small Firm Lawyer, National Bar Association (co-presenter) (April 2014)
- Physician Behavior Contracts, California Association Medical Staff Services Annual Education Forum (May 2013)
- Health Care Reform Update for Medical Device Industry, BIOCOM (co-presenter) (November 2012)
- Legal and Regulatory Update, California Association Medical Staff Services Mid-Valley Chapter (November 2012)
- December 17, 2019
- SB 425 adds Section 805.8 to the California Business & Professions Code Requiring Reporting of Allegations of Sexual Abuse or Sexual Misconduct in Certain CircumstancesNovember 26, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
Health Law Perspectives
- November 4, 2019
- Copyright 2014, American Health Lawyers Association, Washington, DC. Reprint permission granted., November 18, 2014
Representing Hospitals and Health Systems Handbook, Co-Author (Chapter 20 – Medical Staff Issues), AHLA (First Edition) 2016
- Weighing the Options of Appointing Non-Physician Practitioners to the Medical Staff, American Health Lawyers Association MedStaff News (November 2014) and National Association Medical Staff Services Synergy (January/February 2015)
- ACO Credentialing and Peer Review: Getting Started, AHLA Connections, Vol. 18, No. 6, June 2014, (co-author).
- Telehealth Law Handbook: A Practical Guide to Virtual Care, (January 2018), (co-author).