Brandeis University, B.A. cum laude, 2010
Boston College Law School, J.D., 2014
The George Washington University Law School, LL.M. Health Care Law, 2015
- 2014, Massachusetts
- 2014, Maryland
- 2016, Washington, D.C.
Jeremy Sherer is an associate in the Business Department of Hooper, Lundy & Bookman’s Boston office. The broad focus of his practice integrates the transactional and regulatory components of health care law, with a particular emphasis on health care IT issues, including telemedicine.
Mr. Sherer has experience counseling clients on telemedicine implementation and reimbursement, accountable care/ACO issues, health information privacy and security, and mergers, acquisitions and other strategic affiliations. He also advises clients on compliance with Federal fraud and abuse statutes (the “Stark” Law, the “Anti-Kickback Statute,” and the False Claims Act) and their state counterparts, as well as overpayment appeals and investigations.
Mr. Sherer received his B.A. cum laude in Politics from Brandeis University in 2010. He received his J.D. from Boston College Law School in 2014, where he was the Managing Editor of the Boston College Law and Religion Program and a quarterfinalist in the National Religious Freedom Moot Court Competition. During law school, he held internships with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Region I Office of the General Counsel in Boston, the Massachusetts Executive Office of Health and Human Services, and the Office of the Maryland Attorney General. He received his LL.M. in Health Care Law from The George Washington University Law School in 2015, where he was a research assistant to Professor Sara Rosenbaum.
Mr. Sherer was previously an associate in the health care group of Dentons US LLP in Washington, D.C.
- CMS Appeal: Draft and file requests for redetermination and reconsideration on behalf of provider client in response to demand letters alleging CMS issued overpayments to provider.
- Regulatory Opinion: Draft opinion letter for hospital system explaining updates to provider-based reimbursement standards and reimbursement implications for a specific facility.
- Compliance Audit and Investigation: Perform thorough compliance audit and FCA investigation for large medical device manufacturer, conduct on-site interviews, draft portion of audit report.
- State Law Analysis: Perform 20 state-specific analyses on the permissibility of using electronic signatures on Professional Services Agreements and evaluate potential Stark Law implications.
- Telemedicine Counsel: Counsel one of the nation's largest hospital systems on state-level telemedicine developments including scope of practice, physician-patient relationship establishment, and midlevel practitioner reimbursement issues.
- State Risk Assessment: Evaluate risk of opening substance abuse treatment facilities in six states by analyzing SAMHSA standards, state corporate practice of medicine, licensure and fee-splitting issues.
- Boston Bar Association Health Law Section, Education Committee 2017-2018
- Boston College Law School GOLD Alumni Council
- Brandeis University Alumni Lawyers Steering Committee
Honors & Awards
- Named one of "12 Health Care IT Law Attorneys You Should Know" by Health Data Management, 2018
- Super Lawyers® "Rising Star," Health Care Law (2017, 2018)
- Recognized by American Bar Association's Health Law Section with an "Emerging Young Lawyers in Healthcare" Award, March 2019
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Boston, MA, April 11, 2019
- Boston, MA, April 7-10, 2019
- Orlando, FL, March 13-16, 2019
- Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel, CA, February 11, 2019
- Washington, DC, December 10-11, 2018
- Glens Falls, NY, November 7, 2018
- Stony Brook, NY, October 12, 2018
- Boston, MA, September 26, 2018
- Portland, ME, June 5-6, 2018
- Boston, MA, March 16, 2018
- March 15, 2019
- February 11, 2019
- December 26, 2018
- November 19, 2018Bloomberg Law
- October 26, 2018
- September 25, 2018
- August 31, 2018
- CMS Proposes Changes to Telehealth Reimbursement, Stark, Substance Use Disorder Treatment Reimbursement, and Evaluation & Management Reimbursement in the CY 2019 Physician Fee Schedule Proposed RuleJuly 14, 2018
- July 5, 2018
- June 21, 2018
- May 16, 2018HLB Health IT Blog
- April 19, 2018Bloomberg Law
- February 8, 2018BNA Health Care Daily Report
- Texas Telemedicine Update: Texas Dispute with Teladoc Leads to Revisions to Telemedicine Clinical and Reimbursement StandardsDecember 11, 2017
- December 6, 2017Digital Insurance
- November 20, 2017
Health Law Perspectives
- ABA Health Lawyer, Vol. 31, Number 2, December 2018
- HCCA Compliance Today, November 2018
- Digital Health Legal, Vol. 5, Issue 10 , October 2018
- ABA Health Law eSource, September 2018
- Telemedicine Can Help to Combat Opioid Epidemic, The Daily Journal (July 23, 2018)
- Privacy Compliance Highlights from 2017 – What Providers Should Know, Healthcare Financial Management Association Advisor, Vol. XLV, No. 3 (June 2018)
- Health Law Basics for Massachusetts Lawyers, New England In-House (November 2017)
- More Than Just Paperwork: Prior Authorizations, the Latest Enforcement Risk, Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter, 26 HLR 1441 (October 5, 2017)
- Fraud, Abuse, and the Value-Based Payment Regime: Is New Thinking Needed? American Bar Association Litigation Section, Summer 2016, Vol. 16 No. 4 (September 13, 2016)
- DOJ Targets Individuals for Violations of False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute, Journal of Health Care Compliance, Vol. 18, No. 4 (July - August 2016) (co-author)
- Value Based Reimbursement: The Rock Thrown into the Healthcare Pond, Health Affairs Blog (July 8, 2016)
- IRS ACO Ruling Analysis for NAACOS Members, National Association of Accountable Care Organizations (June 10, 2016) (co-author)
- The ACA 60-Day Overpayment Rule and Related Compliance Challenges, Journal of Health Care Compliance, Vol. 17, No. 6 (November - December 2015)
- DOJ Issues Memorandum on Individual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing: Implications for the Health Care Industry, AHLA E-Alert (September 22, 2015)
- Navigating CMS' Tangled Web of Stark Law Interpretation, Law 360 (July 22, 2015) (co-author)