Colby College, B.A., 2005, magna cum laude
The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2008
- The University of Chicago Law Review
- 2011, California
- 2008, Illinois
Katherine (Katie) Markowski Dru is an associate in the litigation department and medical staff practice group of Hooper, Lundy & Bookman. Ms. Dru’s practice comprises a wide range of matters on behalf of hospitals, medical staffs, and other health care providers, and involves many areas relevant to health care law, including managed care litigation, California’s Health and Safety and Insurance Codes, the False Claims Act, ERISA, HIPAA, and all aspects of medical staff law, with an emphasis on allied health professionals.
Ms. Dru received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude with distinction in French Studies and International Studies, from Colby College in 2005. She received her J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School in 2008, where she was a member of the University of Chicago Law Review, the Mandel Legal Aid Clinic’s Irwin Askow Housing Initiative, and the Willem C. Vis International Arbitration Moot Court team.
Ms. Dru is firmly committed to pro bono service. She successfully obtained a sentencing remand in a criminal appeal before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, routinely represents workers who have been denied unemployment insurance benefits in their appeals before the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, and successfully appealed the denial of dental benefits for a foster child to the California Department of Social Services. Ms. Dru also is an active volunteer in the community through the Junior League of Los Angeles, of which she is President-Elect-Elect for 2017-18.
Ms. Dru previously was an associate in the Chicago offices of Foley & Lardner, LLP and Hogan Lovells US, LLP.
Ms. Dru is fluent in written and spoken French.
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Nurse and Allied Health Care Professionals Task Force
- American Health Lawyers Association, Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (WLALA)
- Women in Health Administration of Southern California
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- The Potential Impact of Health Reform, Changing Provider Contracts and Regulation on Managed Care ProvidersBerkeley: August 22, 2017 Los Angeles August 24, 2017
- Long Beach, CA, June 1, 2017
- Oakland and Los Angeles, May 2, 2017 - Oakland, May 10, 2017 - Los Angeles
- Sacramento, Costa Mesa, February 15, 2017 and March 1, 2017
- Patient Safety Organizations: What Compliance Officers Need to Know, California Hospital Association Hospital Compliance Seminar (February 2017)
- Responding to Payor Audits and Fighting Recoupments, HFMA Southern California Chapter Winter Educational Program (November 2016)
- Medical Staff Update, In-house CLE (June 2016)
- Managed Care Disputes, In-house CLE (December 2015)
- Privileging for New or Novel Procedures or Treatments, CAMSS Annual Education Forum (May 2015)
- August 1, 2016Health Law Perspectives
- HHS Office for Civil Rights Releases Materials to Assist Providers in Complying with Section 1557 Anti-Discrimination RuleJuly 25, 2016
- April 15, 2015
Elite Center: New Case Law Casts Doubt on Health Plans' Favored Recoupment Theory Concerning Waiver of Patient Co-Payments, Health Law Perspectives (March 2017)
Chapter 13: Patient Safety Organizations, Hospital Compliance Manual (2017 Edition), California Hospital Association
Kentucky Supreme Court Clarifies Scope of PSWP Privilege, American Health Lawyers Association Practice Groups, (October 2016)
Patient Safety Work Product Privilege: Does It Still Exist?, Health Law Perspectives (August 2016)
Privileging for Novel Procedures or Treatments, Health Law Perspectives(September 2015)
Weighing the Options of Appointing Non-Physician Practitioners to the Medical Staff, American Health Lawyers Association MedStaff News (November 2014) and National Association Medical Staff Services Synergy (January/February 2015)
Federal District Court Confirms ERISA Protections Available to Providers Defending Repayment Demands, Health Law Perspectives (December 2013).
Medi-Cal Rate Litigation Update, Health Law Perspectives (February 2012).
Chapter 8: Pre-Trial Motions, Federal Criminal Practice (2011 Edition), Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education