Colby College, B.A., 2005, magna cum laude
The University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 2008
- The University of Chicago Law Review
- 2011, California
- 2019, Colorado
- 2008, Illinois
Katherine (Katie) Markowski Dru is a partner in the litigation department and medical staff practice group of Hooper, Lundy & Bookman. Ms. Dru’s practice comprises a wide range of matters on behalf of hospitals, medical staffs, physicians, and other health care providers, with an emphasis on managed care litigation and all aspects of medical staff law. Ms. Dru has significant experience in all aspects of arbitration and litigation, and has first and second-chaired jury trials, arbitrations, peer review hearings, and administrative hearings.
Ms. Dru’s extensive managed care experience includes arbitration and litigation alleging unfair business practices, breach of contract, fraud, false claims act violations, and ERISA violations. In 2017, Ms. Dru co-chaired a jury trial against Anthem Blue Cross concerning out-of-network reimbursement that resulted in the second-largest verdict in the state for the relevant practice area that year.
Ms. Dru’s medical staff practice includes peer review/Medical Board hearings; investigations into physician behavior; managing on-site responses to Statements of Deficiencies identified by CMS surveyors; drafting policies and advising on supervision requirements for allied health professionals; and advising hospitals on various issues relating to the use of medical residents and students, including drafting policies and conducting disciplinary hearings.
Ms. Dru received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude with distinction in French Studies and International Studies, from Colby College. She received her J.D. from The University of Chicago Law School, where she was a member of the University of Chicago Law Review, the Mandel Legal Aid Clinic’s Irwin Askow Housing Initiative, and the Willem C. Vis International Arbitration Moot Court team.
Ms. Dru is firmly committed to pro bono service. She has met with success in a vast range of pro bono matters, including a criminal appeal before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, numerous appeals of denials of unemployment insurance benefits before the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, and an appeal of a denial of dental benefits for a foster child to the California Department of Social Services.
Ms. Dru previously was an associate in the Chicago offices of Foley & Lardner, LLP and Hogan Lovells US, LLP.
Ms. Dru is fluent in written and spoken French.
- Vice Chair, Nursing & Allied Health Care Professionals Task Force, American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association, Medical Staff, Credentialing, and Peer Review Practice Group
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Universal City, CA, May 23-24, 2019
- Colorado Springs, CO, May 4, 2019
- HLB 2019 Medical Staff Update Seminar, March 5, 2019 - Oakland Marriott City Center, CA; March 12, 2019 - Westin Los Angeles Airport, CA
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman's 2018 Managed Care Update - Westin Los Angeles Airport, 5400 W Century Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90045, September 6, 2018
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman's 2018 Managed Care Update - Berkeley Hotel Shattuck Plaza, 2086 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA, September 5, 2018
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman's 2017 California Managed Care Update: The Potential Impact of Health Reform, Changing Provider Contracts and Regulation on Managed Care Providers; Berkeley: August 22, 2017; Los Angeles August 24, 2017
- CAMSS 46th Annual Educational Forum, Long Beach, CA, June 1, 2017
- HLB 2017 Medical Staff Update: Issues and Strategies for California Hospital Medical Staffs Oakland and Los Angeles, May 2, 2017 - Oakland, May 10, 2017 - Los Angeles
- CHA Hospital Compliance Seminar, Sacramento, Costa Mesa, February 15, 2017 and March 1, 2017
- Patient Safety Organizations: What Compliance Officers Need to Know, California Hospital Association Hospital Compliance Seminar, February 2017
- Responding to Payor Audits and Fighting Recoupments, HFMA Southern California Chapter Winter Educational Program, November 2016
- Medical Staff Update, In-house CLE, June 2016
- Managed Care Disputes, In-house CLE, December 2015
- Privileging for New or Novel Procedures or Treatments, CAMSS Annual Education Forum, May 2015
- August 5, 2019
- June 14, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
- February 11, 2019
- Health Law Perspectives
- January 1, 2018
- HHS Office for Civil Rights Releases Materials to Assist Providers in Complying with Section 1557 Anti-Discrimination RuleJuly 25, 2016
- April 15, 2015
Health Law Perspectives
- June 20, 2019
- Eighth Circuit Affirms that United’s Overpayment Recoupment Practices Violate ERISA (January 2019)
- Health Law Perspectives (January 15, 2019)
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Promotes Five Partners and One Senior Counsel (January 11, 2019)
- Health Law Perspectives Medical Staff Special Edition (May 2018)
- Chapter 13: Patient Safety Organizations, Hospital Compliance Manual (2017, 2018, and 2019 editions), California Hospital Association
- Elite Center: New Case Law Casts Doubt on Health Plans' Favored Recoupment Theory Concerning Waiver of Patient Co-Payments, Health Law Perspectives (March 2017)
- Kentucky Supreme Court Clarifies Scope of PSWP Privilege, American Health Lawyers Association Practice Groups (October 2016)
- Patient Safety Work Product Privilege: Does It Still Exist?, Health Law Perspectives (August 2016)
- Privileging for Novel Procedures or Treatments, Health Law Perspectives(September 2015)
- Weighing the Options of Appointing Non-Physician Practitioners to the Medical Staff, American Health Lawyers Association MedStaff News (November 2014) and National Association Medical Staff Services Synergy (January/February 2015)
- Federal District Court Confirms ERISA Protections Available to Providers Defending Repayment Demands, Health Law Perspectives (December 2013).
- Medi-Cal Rate Litigation Update, Health Law Perspectives (February 2012)
- Chapter 8: Pre-Trial Motions, Federal Criminal Practice (2011 Edition), Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education