Stanford University, A.B., 1978
The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1982
- 1982, California
Laurence D. Getzoff has specialized exclusively in health care related matters, including federal and state reimbursement law, federal and state regulatory compliance issues, medical staff and general hospital operations, licensing, certification, and accreditation issues, physician contracting, medical records issues, EMTALA and emergency patient care, and the special problems of mental health providers; he also maintains an active mediation practice.
Mr. Getzoff has worked and continues to work extensively with for-profit and non-profit hospitals and hospital associations, medical groups, independent medical staffs, ancillary providers and mental health service providers on a variety of Medicare and Medicaid issues, compliance, hospital operations and medical staff matters, and has represented clients in all facets of administrative and appellate litigation before federal and state administrative agencies and in federal and state courts.
Mr. Getzoff has extensive experience working with and on behalf of hospital Governing Boards on regulatory, compliance, hospital operations, licensing and accreditation and medical staff matters. He also regularly advises a diverse group of clients on regulatory issues related to hospital transactions.
He frequently represents hospitals, medical staffs and medical groups in the following medical staff matters: (1) bylaws, (2) governance, (3) credentialing and disciplinary actions, (4) hospital based physician contracting, (5) department closures, (6) exclusive use agreements, (7) serving as a mediator, medical staff officer or board hearing officer, (8) joint medical staff credentialing issues, (9) informed consent and other confidentiality issues, including national practitioner data bank issues and issues relating to the disclosure of peer review records under Evidence Code Section 1157.
Mr. Getzoff has successfully represented a broad spectrum of major hospitals and health systems in a wide variety of multi-million dollar federal and state reimbursement disputes before the Provider Reimbursement Review Board, Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services, state administrative agencies in several states, and before federal and state courts. He has also been an active participant in and has successfully represented large and small providers alike in the PRRB Medicare Dispute Mediation program, and has represented several health system providers in very high profile federal compliance and national Qui Tam lawsuits.
Mr. Getzoff has lectured throughout the United States on subjects varying from Medicare and Medicaid issues, to medical staff issues, managed care, EMTALA, confidentiality of health records and regulatory compliance.
Mr. Getzoff received his A.B. in Human Biology/Public Policy from Stanford University in 1978 and his J.D. from The George Washington University Law School in 1982. He has been a partner at Hooper, Lundy & Bookman since 1992.
Alhambra Hospital v. Thompson
County of Los Angeles v. Shalala
Mir v. Little Company of Mary Hospital
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Health Law Section
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV rated
- Recognized Southern California Super Lawyer 2004, 2005
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- June 14, 2019
- June 4, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
- April 15, 2015
- CMS Releases Revisions to Medicare Conditions of Participation Addressing Medical Staff Governance & ParticipationMay 29, 2014
- PRRB: Hospitals with Medicaid Eligible Days Appeals Pending Have Limited Time to Provide Supplemental InformationMay 28, 2014
- April 9, 2014