University of California, Irvine, B.A., cum laude, 2010
University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, J.D., 2013
- Southern California Review of Law and Social Justice, Editor-in-Chief
- California, 2013
Matthew Lahana is an associate in the litigation department of Hooper, Lundy, & Bookman. His practice areas include civil litigation, governmental reimbursement and payment, managed care, medical staff operations, and fraud and abuse defense. Mr. Lahana is a member of the firm's Medical Staff Practice Group, as well as the firm's Fraud & Abuse Practice Group.
Prior to joining Hooper, Lundy & Bookman, Mr. Lahana served as a Deputy Attorney General in the California Department of Justice, where he represented various state agencies in civil litigation involving health, education, and welfare matters.
He has experience trying matters in state court, federal court, and before administrative tribunals, such as the Office of Administrative Hearing and Appeals.
Before representing state agencies, Mr. Lahana was a research attorney for the Honorable William F. Highberger in the Los Angeles Superior Court Complex Litigation Program.
Mr. Lahana graduated, cum laude, from the University of California, Irvine in 2010, earning a B.A. in Political Science and a double-minor in Management and Conflict Resolution.
In 2013, Mr. Lahana obtained his J.D. from the University of Southern California, Gould School of Law. While in law school, he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Southern California Review of Law and Social Justice, one of only three honors journals at Gould. Mr. Lahana also served as a law clerk at the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office in the Target Crimes division.
Mr. Lahana is admitted to practice law in the State of California, the United States District Court for the Central, and Southern Districts of California, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Association of Medical Staff Services (CAMSS)
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- San Diego County Bar Association
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar, April 9, 2020
- San Diego, CA, July 14-17, 2019
- March 5, 2019 - Oakland Marriott City Center, CA; March 12, 2019 - Westin Los Angeles Airport, CA
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
- November 7, 2018
Co-Author, Goodbye RUGS! Hello, PDPM: Fundamental Changes to SNF Medicare Payment, American Bar Association Health Law Section, The Health Lawyer Magazine, October 2019
Co-Author, Updates to Peer Review Reporting Requirements and Practical Implications, California Society of Healthcare Attorneys (CSHA), California Health Law News, Fall 2019
Destined to Collide: Modern Protests & Warrantless Cell Phone Search Exceptions, Southern California Review of Law and Social Justice, 2012