University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 2003, magna cum laude
Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Projects Editor, American Journal of Law and Medicine
- 2006, California
Nina Adatia Marsden joined Hooper, Lundy and Bookman in 2006, and practices in the firm's regulatory department. Ms. Marsden has a broad range of experience assisting health care providers, including hospitals, pharmacies, and laboratories, with licensure and certification, regulatory compliance, operational issues, and ownership changes. Additionally, she is experienced in dealing with Medicare reimbursement issues and regularly assists clients in preparing appeals to the Provider Reimbursement Review Board.
Ms. Marsden received her B.A. degree in Communication Studies and a B.A. degree in Psychology, magna cum laude, from the University of California, Los Angeles in 2003. She received her J.D. from Boston University School of Law in 2006, where she served as Projects Editor for the American Journal of Law and Medicine. In the spring of 2006, Ms. Marsden interned with the Office of General Counsel at Tufts-New England Medical Center.
Drafted and managed Provider Reimbursement Review Board appeals for over 2,000 hospitals, ultimately resulting in over $700 million settlement.
Handled change of ownership for pharmacy permit, Medicare enrollment and Medicaid enrollment for private equity client’s acquisition of California retail and wholesale pharmacies.
Advised and assisted client with regulatory change of ownership process, including licensure, Medicare, and Medi-Cal issues, relating to acquisition of California general acute care hospital.
Successfully appealed revocation of hospital pharmacy Medicare enrollment, allowing hospital to bill over $1 million of Medicare services.
Reviewed and analyzed hospital’s focus arrangements and drafted annual independent review organization reports for annual submissions to the Office of Inspector General under hospital’s Corporate Integrity Agreement.
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Society for Health Care Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers, 2019-2020
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Webinar, August 19, 2020
- Legal Considerations with Implementing Sustainable Telehealth Programs During the Pandemic and BeyondWebinar, July 22, 2020
- COVID-19 Financial Relief for Providers: CARES Act Provider Relief Fund, Uninsured Program, and Coverage IssuesWebinar, June 9, 2020
- April 16, 2020
- Webinar, April 2, 2020
- Burlington, MA, December 7, 2018
- Las Vegas, NV, November 2-3, 2017
- Glendale, CA, September 11, 2017
- Rancho Mirage, CA, May 5, 2017
- Sacramento, Costa Mesa, February 15, 2017 and March 1, 2017
- San Francisco, CA, October 27-28, 2016
- Los Angeles, CA, October 6, 2016
- Culver City, CA, November 20, 2014
- May 9, 2014
- "Legislative Update: Patches, Shreds and Sticky Notes,” Southern California Association for Healthcare Risk Management, 35th Annual Educational Conference (May 8, 2015) (Co-Presenter).
- "2 Midnight Rule," California Hospital Association, Hospital Reimbursement Seminar, June 10, 2014 & June 11, 2014.
- "Legislative Update," Southern California Association for Healthcare Risk Management, Annual Education Conference, May 9, 2014 (Co-Presenter).
- "Medicare and Medicaid Update" (Two Midnight Rule), Southern California Healthcare Financial Management Association Spring Conference, March 13, 2014 (Co-Presenter).
- “Recent Compliance Issues in Healthcare Business Transactions,” Los Angeles County Bar Association Health Law Section 12th Annual Compliance Seminar, October 10, 2013 (Co-Presenter).
- “Medicare Litigation Update,” The Conference of Health Reform, September 27, 2013 (Co-Presenter).
- “Patient Care” (EMTALA, Consent, Refusal of Consent to Treatment, Advanced Directives), Fundamentals of Health Law and Compliance Course, UCLA School of Public Health, March 2013; March 2012; March 2011; March 2010; March 2014 (Guest Lecturer).
- January 5, 2021
- August 24, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- CMS Issues Second Interim Final Rule to Expand Provider Flexibility and Coverage During the COVID-19 PandemicMay 2, 2020
- April 17, 2020
- March 26, 2020
- March 25, 2020
- March 20, 2020
- March 18, 2020
- COVID-19 Response: HLB Resource Page, California State of Emergency and Guidance, and CMS Survey GuidanceMarch 9, 2020
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- June 4, 2019
- June 3, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
- January 1, 2018
- April 27, 2016
- June 5, 2015
- HLB Promotes Three Attorneys to Senior Counsel, Names New Co-Chair of the firm's Regulatory DepartmentJanuary 9, 2015
Health Law Perspectives
- June 20, 2019
"Exploring the MOON: Compliance Curtain Rising,” BNA’s Health Law Reporter, March 9, 2017.
"IRS Issues Final Regulations on Financial Assistance Policies and Community Health Needs Assessments," 17 Health Law Perspectives 3, March 2015 (Author)
"Around the Capitol - 2014 In the Rearview Mirror," The Source, Southern California Association for Healthcare Risk Management, December 2014 (Co-Author)
"Unique Hospital Payment Methods," Payments for Hospital Services Under Medicare Parts A and Part B, Bloomberg BNA's Health Law and Business Series (2014) (Contributing Writer)
“PRRB Revises Rules Effective March 1, 2013,” 15 Health Law Perspectives 2, April 2013 (Author)
“Over 2,000 Hospitals Settle Medicare Rural Floor Budget Adjustment Issue with HHS,” BNA’s Medicare Report, Vol. 13, No. 26, April 20, 2012 (Co-Author)
“HLB Negotiates $700 Million Settlement for Hospitals,” 14 Health Law Perspectives 3, April 2012 (Author)
California Hospital Compliance Manual, California Hospital Association, January 2012; January 2010 (Contributing Writer)
“Accreditation Imminent for Medicare Advanced Diagnostic Imaging Suppliers,” 13 Health Law Perspectives 6, July 2011 (Author)
“Significant Changes Enacted to Medicare Provider and Supplier Enrollment Process,” 13 Health Law Perspectives 4, May 2011 (Author)
“Quality Measure Reporting Requirements Expanded in 2010 IPPS Rule,” 2 Healthcare Quality Report 1, February 2010 (Author)
“California Hospitals Must Now Report the Never 27,” 9 Health Law Perspectives 7, July 2007 (Author)