Howard University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1998
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2001
- Member, Georgetown Journal on Poverty Law & Policy
- 2008, District of Columbia
- 2001, Maryland
Precious Gittens is a former federal prosecutor and is Co-chair of the firm’s Fraud & Abuse Practice Group. She is Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) by the Compliance Certification Board (CCB). Ms. Gittens advises organizations on compliance matters, including the development, implementation, and evaluation of compliance plans. She assists audit committees and boards of directors in conducting internal investigations and represents healthcare organizations in response to government investigations and enforcement actions. Ms. Gittens advises clients concerning false claims, anti-kickback and self-referral matters, and self-disclosures to the Office of Inspector General. She specializes in preparing management for civil and criminal proceedings and has handled substantial litigation matters involving the False Claims Act, health care fraud, contract and regulatory disputes, and business torts.
Ms. Gittens has previously served as Assistant United States Attorney with the United States Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (2002-2007), where she prosecuted cases involving a wide variety of criminal white collar matters involving mail and wire fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud, embezzlement, uttering, false statements, tax evasion, and visa fraud. She served as lead prosecutor in over a dozen jury trials and over two dozen bench trials, conducted numerous federal and local grand jury investigations, and briefed and argued before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
Ms. Gittens received her B.A. Degree from Howard University, graduating magna cum laude and her J.D. Degree from Georgetown University Law Center, where she was a recipient of the Michael Feldman Advocacy Award and the winner of William W. Greenhalgh Trial Advocacy Competition.
- 2016, United States District Court for the District of Colorado
- 2014, Supreme Court of the United States
- 2010, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- 2010, United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- 2009, United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- 2008, District of Columbia
- 2001, Maryland
- Advise national social service organization on complex regulatory matters, including regulatory compliance, payment and operational issues, in connection with the expansion of its chronic disease prevention programs.
- Represent molecular diagnostics company in response to Civil Investigative Demand issued by the DOJ pursuant to the federal False Claims Act.
- Represent diagnostic laboratory company in responding to subpoenas issued in connection with DOJ investigation of federal health care offenses.
- Represent skilled nursing facilities in conducting audits and internal investigations for alleged false claims and kickback arrangements.
- Assist healthcare management services company in conducting compliance oversight activities, including audits and internal investigations, in connection with operation of hospitals.
- Defend founders of physician-owned distributorship in federal false claims prosecution, and in parallel government investigation.
- Defended Executive Director of ambulatory surgery center in mail fraud prosecution.
- Represented managed health care services company in connection with state and federal health care fraud investigations, including response to congressional request for information concerning drug utilization by Part D beneficiaries and negotiated drug prices.
- Represented provider in payment dispute with health plan that was seeking to offset alleged overpayments.
- Provided strategic advice to food and beverage company threatened with deceptive trade practices law suit by consumer health and nutrition advocacy organization focused on the labeling and marketing of products.
- Assisted audit committee of a professional bar association in connection with accounting and internal compliance deficiencies identified by whistleblower.
- Represented home health care agency in billing dispute with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, resulting in full reinstatement of provider’s Medicare enrollment and billing privileges, nunc pro tunc revocation date.
- President, Assistant United States Attorneys Association of the District of Columbia
- Women's White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA), District of Columbia Chapter
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Master Member, William B. Bryant American Inn of Court (invitation-only professional organization specializing in trial advocacy)
- Member, Advisory Committee, Pan American Development Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association, Health Law and Criminal Justice Sections
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Health Care Compliance Association
- Member, Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
- Faculty, Harvard Law School Criminal Justice Institute Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Faculty, Emory Law School Kessler-Eidson Trial Techniques Program
- Instructor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA)
- Admissions Interviewer, Georgetown University Law Center Alumni Admissions Program
- Troop Advisor, Girls Scouts Nation’s Capital Cadette Troop 4461
- Former Administrative Hearing Examiner, District of Columbia Office of Police Complaints
Honors & Awards
- Recognized as a Top Rated Health Care Attorney in Washington, DC by Super Lawyer (2016-2017)
- Selected as a recommended attorney by The Legal 500 in the health care service provider category (2016)
- Recipient, The National Law Journal and Legal Times “2014 Washington, D.C. Rising Star” Award
- Recipient, The Network Journal “40 Under Forty” Achievement Award
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Washington, DC, November 4-7, 2018
- Chicago, IL, June 25-27, 2018
- Las Vegas, NV, April 15-18, 2018
- Government Investigations and Parallel Proceedings (with Patric Hooper), California Hospital Association's Hospital Compliance Seminar, Pasadena, CA, February 2018
- Moving Beyond the Seven Elements of Compliance: Measuring Compliance Program Effectiveness, 2017 Health Care Fraud and Abuse Update (seminar presented by HLB/FTI Consulting), Los Angeles, CA and Boston, MA, October 2017
- Post-Escobar: False Claims Act and Qui Tam Actions, The Dale Baker Conference on Health Reform, San Francisco, CA, October 2016
- Overpayments–Report and Return Rule for Medicare Parts A & B: The 60-Day Vulture Comes Home to Roost, The Dale Baker Conference on Health Reform, Daytona Beach, FL, October, 2015
- Regulatory Hotspots: A Leading Edge Legal View from D.C. and Beyond, South Florida Hospital & Healthcare Association Program, Davie, FL, September 2015
- Leadership Growth: Receiving and Acting on Feedback – Women, Influence & Power in Law – By Invitation Only Executive Leadership Forum(an InsideCounsel advanced leadership development and training program designed for in-house counsel and their outside counsel partners), April 2015
- Improv for Lawyers: A CLE to Enhance Negotiation Skills, Corporate Counsel Women of Color 10th Annual Career Strategies Conference, Beverly Hills, CA, October 2014
- Collaboration Between General Counsel and Board of Directors, Corporate Counsel Women of Color Ninth Annual Career Strategies Conference, (Panelist), Washington, D.C., September 2013
- How to Avoid Law Firm Overbilling, Association of Corporate Counsel New Jersey (NJCCA) Chapter Continuing Legal Education Spring Program, West Orange, NJ, May 2013
- Back to Basics: Effective Opening Statement, ABA Section of Litigation Annual Conference, Washington, D.C., April 2012
- June 7, 2018
- March 19, 2018Health Law 360
- May 28, 2016
- Precious Murchison Gittens Joins HLB: Former Federal Prosecutor Joins Firm at Critical Time for Health Care ProvidersMarch 24, 2015
Health Law Perspectives
- September 15, 2015
- Compliance Today, April 2018
Contributing Author, California Hospital Association's Hospital Compliance Manual (Ninth Edition, 2018)
Contributing Author, California Hospital Association’s Hospital Compliance Manual (Seventh Edition, 2016)
Health Law Perspectives, New Guidance for Defendants in DOJ Investigations, September 2015