The George Washington University, B.A. in International Affairs, 2008
The University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. with distinction, 2012
- 2012, Kentucky
- 2017, California
Robert Miller advises a wide variety of health care companies on corporate and regulatory issues. Recognized for his creative problem-solving and unusually broad-based experience in both business and health law, Robert advocates for clients from Hawaii to Maine, including health systems, hospitals, technology companies, physician groups, management organizations, and investors in health care businesses. Clients turn to him when they’re looking to gain solid commercial outcomes and drive their business goals forward through legal processes.
Robert draws on his keen insight into transactions within the heavily regulated health care industry to counsel large, sophisticated organizations grappling with multifaceted problems that can’t be resolved with off-the-shelf solutions. He understands his clients’ business needs and enthusiastically assists them in devising ways to meet goals within multiple frameworks. Robert consults with clients who are motivated to improve both health care delivery and their bottom lines; he walks them through potential growth strategies, innovative approaches to value-based care, and advanced data-use technology, all with a focus on achieving their individual objectives.
A seasoned negotiator, Robert represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, including the purchase, sale, or leasing of health care facilities such as hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, ambulatory surgery centers, and pharmacies. He also guides clients through complex physician group and health system affiliations using joint venture and contractual models that present alternatives to straight sales or acquisitions and offer a broad spectrum of creative governance and ownership arrangements.
Health care provider clients depend on Robert to counsel them on business entity structure and formation, technology transactions, capital generation through private offerings and syndications, and other general corporate concerns. He also advises provider clients on fraud and abuse issues in the context of both transactions and regulatory compliance, including internal investigations, analyses of reporting requirements, and related disclosures to governmental agencies. Robert routinely directs companies on contractual matters, including the development of agreements regarding software licensing, distribution, non-disclosure, professional services, and consulting.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented independent physician practice group including dozens of providers in its sale to a nationally recognized medical services company.
- Represented multi-office regional optometry practice in its sale to a private-equity backed strategic buyer.
- Represented lab equipment and medical device distributor in its sale to a Fortune 50 pharmaceutical and medical supplies distribution company.
- Represented independent hospital in the sale of its long-term care unit to a private equity-backed senior living provider.
- Represented independent hospital in its sale to a publicly traded hospital company.
- Represented regional healthcare system in its acquisition of an independent hospital.
- Represented multinational manufacturing company in its sale to a European-based strategic buyer.
- Represented regional healthcare system in its acquisition of 11 physician practices within approximately the past two years.
- Represented global electronics company in its acquisition of a video surveillance software provider.
- Represented pharmaceutical development and manufacturing company in its sale to an Indian-based global business conglomerate.
- Represented biopharmaceutical manufacturing company in its sale to a strategic buyer.
- Represented global consumer products company in its development of a joint venture with an Israeli-based, multinational aesthetic device company.
- Represented community-based health plan in its sale to a managed health care company.
- Represented consortium of grocery stores and markets in renegotiating a $300M revolving line of credit.
- Represented consortium of insurance entities in renegotiating a $12M term loan and $2M revolving line of credit.
- Represented private-equity backed hospital company in the renegotiation of a $55M revolving line of credit.
- Represented regional healthcare system in the issuance of $68M in Series A bonds and $25M in Series B bonds.
- Represented food safety technology company in a $17M growth-stage equity offering.
- Represented consumer products company in multiple rounds of early- and growth-stage equity offerings.
- Represented real estate investment company in a series of early-stage equity offerings.
- American Health Lawyers Association, Business Law and Governance Practice Group, Health Information and Technology Practice Group
- American Bar Association Health Law Section, Vice Chair, Publications Book Editorial Board
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Healthcare Law Section
Honors & Awards
- American Bar Association Health Law Section’s “Emerging Young Lawyer in Health Care” 2020 Recipient
- Super Lawyers® Southern California Rising Star (2019-2020)
- Super Lawyers® Kentucky Rising Star (2016 and 2017)
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Los Angeles, CA, April 9, 2019
- Guidance for Physician Shareholder, Primary Care and Behavioral Health Integration Summit, Los Angeles, CA (July 2019)
- August 20, 2020
- March 31, 2020
- January 7, 2020
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
- October 16, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- May 30, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
Health Law Perspectives
- June 20, 2019