University of Hawai'i at Hilo, B.A.
Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D.
- 2003, California
Ruby W. Wood is a Partner in the firm’s San Francisco office. She represents multi-institutional health systems, hospitals and/or their medical staffs, and medical groups, in a variety of matters. These include internal operations and self-governance; bylaws, rules and regulations and policies; Joint Commission, and other regulatory compliance; credentialing and peer review investigations; formal hearings; HIPAA issues; and the application of the protections afforded to medical staffs under state and federal law (with an emphasis on California Evidence Code § 1157 protection). Her practice also includes matters related to medical staff representation in connection with healthcare litigation, including writ proceedings, subpoena responses, responding to retaliation claims and related allegations. She is a member of the firm’s Medical Staff Practice Group.
Ms. Wood conducts investigations and advises clients on compliance issues and fair procedure considerations in connection with medical staff practices and procedures. She has served as lead counsel in multiple medical staff hearings. Ms. Wood appears in federal and state court and in arbitration on behalf of her clients.
Prior to joining Hooper Lundy & Bookman, Ms. Wood represented clients in a variety of business litigation matters, including healthcare, intellectual property, financial services, employment and real estate issues.
Ms. Wood received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo. She received her J.D. from Santa Clara University School of Law.
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- American Health Lawyers Association, Medical Staff Credentialing and Peer Review Practice Group
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- San Francisco, CA, May 25-26, 2018
- Oakland and Los Angeles, May 2, 2017 - Oakland, May 10, 2017 - Los Angeles
- Assessing Fitness for Continued Safe Practice for Late Career Practitioners - Legal and Practical Guidance; American Health Lawyers Association (co-presenter) (December 2016)
- Two Sides of the 1157 Coin, CAMSS Annual Conference, Anaheim (co-presenter) (May 2016)
- Reporting Requirements, Responding to Subpoenas, and Sharing Peer Review Information, CAMSS Annual Educational Forum (May 2015)
- Highlights of the 2015 NPDB Guidebook, AHLA Medical Staff Credentialing and Peer Review Practice Group Open Membership Meeting (co-presenter) (May 2015)
- Health Law Perspectives
- Health Law Perspectives
- January 1, 2018
- December 14, 2016
Health Law Perspectives
- AHLA Connections, May 1, 2017
Medical Staff Bylaws and Hospital Contracts: Practical Considerations for Closed Departments, AHLA Connections Magazine (co-author) (May 2017)
Member Briefing: Highlights of the 2015 Databank Guidebook: Navigating the New NPDB (co-author) (June 4, 2015)