San Jose State University, B.A., 1988
Golden Gate University School of Law, J.D., 1994
- 1994, California
- 1995, Pennsylvania
Scott J. Kiepen practices in the firm’s Long-Term Care Practice Group, HIPAA Practice Group and Litigation Department and specializes in the areas of health care civil and regulatory law, long-term care, senior housing and related ancillary services. He is also a member of the firm's Fraud & Abuse Practice Group. Mr. Kiepen regularly counsels long-term care, senior housing and continuing care retirement providers in all aspects of their regulatory, business, and legal affairs, including matters concerning Changes of Ownership (CHOWs) and licensing and certification approvals, Medi-Cal and Medicare reimbursement, billing, sales and leases of facilities, survey management, transfer/discharge issues and appeals, abuse reporting and administrative appeals, fraud and abuse issues, medical staff, pharmacy issues, and other general operational issues. Additionally, he has assisted many long-term care providers in the development and implementation of compliance programs.
Mr. Kiepen’s litigation experience includes a wide variety of matters in both federal and state courts, and administrative hearings against government agencies. He has represented providers in business and contract disputes, medical malpractice and elder abuse cases, transfer trauma cases, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement disputes, licensing and certification accusations, unfair competition (“UCL”) cases, Consumer Legal Remedies Act cases, and Medicare and Medicaid decertification matters.
Mr. Kiepen is an associate member of the California Association of Health Facilities, where he has served on the association’s reimbursement, legal and products and services subcommittees. Mr. Kiepen is a frequent state-wide speaker regarding long-term care issues, and serves his local community as a member of the Advisory Counsel on Aging to the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors.
Mr. Kiepen received his B.A. degree from San Jose State University in 1988 and his J.D. from Golden Gate University School of Law. He was admitted to the Pennsylvania Bar and the California Bar in 1994. As a former principal in the Northern California-based health care firm of Rapp, Kiepen & Harman, Mr. Kiepen merged his practice with Hooper, Lundy & Bookman in April 2002.
- Lauderdale Associates v. Department of Health Services, 67 Cal. App. 4th 117 (1998).
- Foundation Aiding Elderly v. Superior Court, Court of Appeal, First District, Division 4, California. April 1, 2005 A109442 (2005 WL 752739).
- Life Care Centers of America v. CalOptima, Court of Appeals, Fourth District, Division 3, California. October 31, 2005 133 Cal.App.4th 1169 35 Cal.Rptr.3d 387.
- Alvarado v. Selma Convalescent Hosp., Court of Appeal, Seond District, Division 3, California. August 1, 2007 153 Cal.App.4th 1292 64 Cal.Rptr.3d 250.
- Bates v. Granada Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center, LLC, Court of Appeal, First District, Division 3, California. September 15, 2008 A120485 (2008 WL 4195954).
- Bush v. Horizon West, Court of Appeal, Third District, California. April 9, 2012 205 Cal.App.4th 924 140 Cal.Rptr.3d 258.
- Shuts v. Covenant Holdco, LLC, Court of Appeal, First District, Division 4, California. August 15, 2012 208 Cal.App.4th 609 145 Cal.Rptr.3d 709.
- Grancare, LLC v. Horton, Court of Appeal, Second District, Division 1, California. May 31, 2013 B241363 (2013 WL 2382609).
- Nevarrez v. San Marino Skilled Nursing and Wellness Centre, Court of Appeal, Second District, Division 4, California. November 4, 2013 221 Cal.App.4th 102 163 Cal.Rptr.3d 874.
- Valley View Health Care, Inc. v. Chapman, United States District Court, E.D. California. January 16, 2014 992 F.Supp.2d 1016 2014 WL 197778.
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association, Post-Acute and Long Term Services Practice Group, Fraud and Abuse Practice Group
- California Association of Health Facilities
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Past Member of Advisory Counsel on Aging to the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors