McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas, B.B.A., M.A.
The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2009
- 2009, California
Vinay Kohli brings a trial lawyer’s perspective to healthcare litigation. He has experience trying matters in state court, federal court, and before administrative tribunals, such as the Office of Administrative Hearing and Appeals. He has enjoyed tremendous success in handling complicated, high-stakes commercial, healthcare, and intellectual property disputes for plaintiffs and defendants.
Mr. Kohli is able to draw from a breadth of experience in order to effectively represent his clients. He has handled contract disputes, trade secret litigation, entertainment and class action lawsuits, and has represented an array of clients including elected officials, hospital systems, real estate developers, financial institutions, pharmaceutical corporations, talent managers and sports agents, as well as entertainers such as legendary rock artists Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons. Mr. Kohli also counsels clients regarding matters arising from the misappropriation and/or loss of company information.
Mr. Kohli received his Juris Doctorate with honors from The University of Texas School of Law in 2009. During law school, Mr. Kohli was the recipient of several Dean’s Achievement Awards – a distinction given to the individual who earns the single highest grade in a class – and earned the Gibbs & Bruns Best Brief Award. Before law school, Mr. Kohli obtained both a Bachelor’s Degree with high honors in Business Administration and a Master’s Degree in Accounting from the McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas. While there, he was selected as a Department of Accounting Scholar by the business school faculty and further recognized as a University of Texas Distinguished Scholar.
- Universal Health Services, Inc. v. Aetna. Mr. Kohli represented a large hospital system in an out-of-network underpayment dispute. The case was resolved favorably for the client prior to trial.
- In the Matter of Ventura County, Provider No. TCM5606. Mr. Kohli is lead counsel for the County of Ventura in a “bellwether” Medi-Cal appeal before the Office of Administrative Hearings and Appeals relating to a Targeted Case Management Services program.
- Golightly v. Molina, 229 Cal. App. 4th 1501 (2014). Mr. Kohli was key member of the legal team that successfully defended Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors in a widely-publicized taxpayer lawsuit that targeted their budgeting practices. After years of litigation, the County prevailed on summary judgment and the judgment was upheld on appeal.
- People of California v. Southern California Gas Company. Mr. Kohli successfully represented the People of California against SoCalGas in its bid to prematurely terminate the relocation program for residents displaced by the unprecedented Aliso Canyon gas leak.
- Wimbledon Financing Funds, Ltd. v. David Molner. Mr. Kohli obtained a complete dismissal of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims that investors brought against the manager and investment services advisor of a Cayman Islands-based hedge fund.
- Questcor Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Glenridge Pharmaceuticals, LLC. Mr. Kohli was the lead associate in a breach of contract and fiduciary duty litigation that sought to invalidate a royalty agreement worth several hundred million dollars. The case settled very favorably on the eve of trial.
- Alaburda v. Thomas Jefferson School of Law. Mr. Kohli second-chaired a historic jury trial against a law school for the misreporting of employment statistics.
- Technology Integration Group v. Trace3, Inc. Mr. Kohli obtained dismissal of trade secret misappropriation and unfair business practices claims on summary judgment on behalf of a technology company and its employees (AAA Arbitration).
- Cameron Pointe LLC v. East West Bank. Mr. Kohli obtained summary judgment and recovered more than $1 million in attorneys’ fees on behalf of a lender sued by a commercial real estate developer for fraud and breach of contract.
- SCC Alameda Point v. City of Alameda. Mr. Kohli successfully represented one of the country's largest privately-owned real estate developers against a municipality based on the alleged breach of an exclusive negotiating agreement. The case settled favorably for his client.
- American Health Lawyers Association
Honors & Awards
- Southern California Rising Stars by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015, 2016, and 2017