University of California, Los Angeles, B.A.
University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
M. Steven Lipton focuses on general hospital representation, including hospital operations, physician contracting, regulatory and compliance matters and health care transactions. His practice includes corporate governance, licensing, fraud and abuse, and PACE organizations. Steve also focuses on EMTALA investigations, compliance, training and counseling.
Mr. Lipton received a B.A. Degree from University of California, Los Angeles and a J.D. Degree from University of California at Los Angeles School of Law.
- General representation of health care providers and systems in corporate, regulatory, compliance and contracting and transactions, including corporate governance, facility operations, and physician contracting (medical direction, professional services, recruitment and on-call)
- Representing providers in physician alignment strategies, including foundations, clinics, practice management, joint ventures and medical group arrangements
- Representing providers in compliance matters, including counseling, educating and defending providers in Stark, fraud and abuse, EMTALA, licensing, accreditation and certification issues
- American Health Lawyers Association
- California Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Board of Directors, 2009-present, California Center for Public Health Advocacy
- Staff Counsel, 1973-1977, California State Assembly Health Committee
- Member, 2003-05; Co-Chair, 2005-06; Health Law Committee, California State Bar Association
- Regional Executive (Region 11), 2001-02, Healthcare Financial Management Association
- President, 1996-97; Board Member, 1989-99, Northern California Chapter – Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Adjunct Professor, University of Southern California School for Public Administration Program, 1984-1994
- Lecturer, U.C. Berkeley School of Public Health, “Legal Issues in Health Care Delivery,” 2004-2014
Honors & Awards
- Recognized by Best Lawyers, 2003-2023
- Named as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” by Chambers USA in Healthcare: Regulatory & Litigation (National), 2010; Healthcare Law (California), 2005-present
- Named as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” in Health Care Law by Woodward/White, 2001-present; “Lawyer of the Year” (Health Care Law), San Francisco 2010
- Northern California Super Lawyers in Health Care Law, 2006-2013
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Sacramento, CA, July 26, 2018
- Sacramento, CA, July 12, 2018
- Pasadena, CA, July 11, 2018
- California Hospital Association, Managing Patients With Behavioral Health Needs in Acute and ED Settings SeminarPasadena, CA, July 25, 2017
- California Hospital Association, Managing Patients With Behavioral Health Needs in Acute and ED Settings SeminarSacramento, CA, July 11, 2017
- May 9, 2014
- “5150 Workshop for Fresno County Hospitals,” Hospital Council of Northern and Central California, Jan. 2012.
- “EMTALA and Behavioral Health Care Services,” California Hospital Association Behavioral Health Symposium, Dec. 2011.
- “EMTALA – the Basics,” California Hospital Association, Oct. 2011.
- “Swimming in the Deep End, ‘Life in the Fishbowl’,” Southern California Association for Healthcare Risk Management, Palm Springs, CA, May 2011.
- “Life in the Fishbowl,” Southern California Association for Healthcare Risk Management, Palm Springs, CA, May 2010.
- The Healthcare Roundtable (COO Forum), “EMTALA Update,” Memphis, TN, May 2010.
- “2010 Health Care Regulatory and Compliance Update,” Millennium Biltmore Hotel, Los Angeles, CA, March 23, 2010.
- “Emergency Behavioral Health Patients,” California Hospital Association, December 01, 2009.
- “EMTALA Update,” California Hospital Association—Presentations delivered in Irvine, Burbank and Sacramento, CA, October 2009.
- “Potentially Problematic Physician Transactions,” Health Care Webinar Series, July 28, 2009.
- “2009 Health Care Compliance and Regulatory Update,” Millennium Biltmore Hotel, Los Angeles, CA May 12, 2009.
- “Behavioral Health Patients – A Mighty Wind Blows Between EMTALA and State Laws,” California Hospital Association, December 01, 2008.
- “Adverse Events and Immediate Jeopardy,” Hospital Council of Northern and Central California, June 1, 2008.
- “Adverse Events and Immediate Jeopardy,” HASC/DWT Compliance Seminar, May 1, 2008.
- “Adverse Events and Immediate Jeopardy,” HCNCC/DWT Compliance Seminar, May 1, 2008.
- “Behavioral Health Patients, Managing the Challenge. EMTALA Perspective,” Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems, April 1, 2008.
- “EMTALA – the Uninsured and the Homeless,” National Congress on Un/Uninsured, Washington, D.C., December 1, 2007.
- “EMTALA and the Homeless Crisis,” California Hospital Association, November 1, 2007.
- “EMTALA/Homeless Dumping,” Moss Adams Annual Client Seminar, October 1, 2007.
- “STAT! As if E.D.s Weren’t Crazy Enough in Themselves…” Hawaii Conference, Health Care Financial Management Association, April 1, 2007.
- “EMTALA and Behavioral Health,” Southern California Mental Health Directors, July 1, 2006.
- “Legal Preparedness for Pandemic Flu Exploring Responses to New Risks,” Public Health Law Program, April 1, 2006.
- “Healthcare Regulation: The Long Road Paved with Good Intentions and Peppered with Potholes,” Society of Professionals in Healthcare, 2006.
- September 12, 2022
- June 17, 2022
- Nineteen HLB Attorneys Recognized in “Best Lawyers in America 2022” and “Ones to Watch,” Plus One Attorney Named “Lawyer of the YearAugust 19, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Ranked in the 2020 Edition of US News/Best Lawyers in America Best Law FirmsNovember 2, 2019
- October 1, 2019
- August 15, 2019
- August 5, 2019
- Hooper, Lundy & Bookman Launches Webinar Series with Focused Discussions on Post-Acute Care PartnershipsMay 8, 2019PRNewswire
- Hooper Lundy & Bookman Recognized Among the Top Health Law Firms in the United States by Chambers USAApril 25, 2019
- May 3, 2018
- August 16, 2017
- Approaching Compliance Date for New IRS Safe Harbors for Private Use of Facilities Financed with Tax-Exempt DebtAugust 11, 2017
- May 26, 2017
- CMS Issues Final Rule with Comment Period to Implement Site-Neutrality For New Off-Campus Provider-Based DepartmentsNovember 3, 2016
- August 1, 2016Health Law Perspectives
- May 27, 2016
- February 5, 2016
- November 3, 2015
- Congress Eliminates OPPS Payments for Many New Hospital Off-Campus Outpatient Departments And Promotes Site-Neutral Payment Policy – Section 603 of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015October 30, 2015
- May 20, 2015
- August 26, 2014
- May 23, 2014
Health Law Perspectives
- June 20, 2019
“EMTALA, a Guide to Patient Anti-Dumping Laws,” 7th Ed., California Hospital Association, 2009.
“New On-Call Options: CMS Rejects EMTALA Expansion,” ED Management, Nov. 2008.
“Accepting Emergency Transfers. Making Compliance Easier,” Compliance Today, Health Care Compliance Association, March 1, 2008.