Trinity University, B.A., 1990
University of Colorado School of Law, J.D., Order of the Coif, 1996
- Colorado, 2008
Sven Collins is a partner in the firm's Denver office. His practice is focused on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement litigation, as well as litigation and risk-management guidance in areas of employment and labor, trade secrets, unfair competition and other commercial disputes. He litigates and tries cases before courts, arbitrators and government agencies and regularly represents hospitals and healthcare providers in innovative reimbursement appeals seeking additional payment under Medicare.
He regularly speaks at legal, trade association and firm-sponsored seminars on healthcare reimbursement related and employment matters and presents in-house training programs for clients on these issues.
- Prosecuting multiple hospital group appeals, before CMS and in federal court, seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in additional supplemental Medicare outlier payments.
- Successfully prosecuted multiple hospital Medicare group appeals to recover approximately US$30 million in “rural floor budget neutrality adjustment” underpayments.
- Secured permanent injunction in a ground-breaking challenge barring HHS from applying agency’s 2008 “self-disallowance” regulation to certain hospital appeals. Charleston Area Medical Center v. Sebelius, U.S. Dist. Ct. D.C. (Case No. 13-643).
- Secured judgment invalidating remaining aspects of HHS’s 2008 “self-disallowance” regulation as applied to challenges to HHS regulations. Banner Heart Hospital v. Burwell, U.S. Dist. Ct. D.C. (Case No. 14-cv-01195-APM).
- Successfully overturned amendment to CMS Medicare interest regulation in hospital appeal involving high seven-figure claim for interest. UPMC Mercy v. Sebelius, U.S. Dist. Ct. D.C. (Case No. 09-1286).
- Obtained permanent injunction for an oil and gas industry client blocking former employees and subsequent employer from employee and customer raiding and misappropriation of trade secrets. EMS USA, Inc. v. Integrity Specialists LLC, et al., U.S. Dist. Ct. D. Colo. (Case No. 11-cv-02832).
- Obtained permanent injunction and seven-figure damages payment for a financial services company in a raiding case against former manager and new employer.
- American Health Lawyers Association
Honors & Awards
- Super Lawyers, Colorado, 2011-2016
- Super Lawyers Business Edition, Colorado, 2013
Presentations & Speaking Engagements
- Co-presenter, How Much Deference Does CMS Get These Days?, Virtual Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, AHLA, March 24-26, 2021
- Presenter, AHLA Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD, March 20-22, 2019
- Presenter, AHLA Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD, March 21-23, 2018
- Presenter, AHLA Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD, March 29-31, 2017
- Presenter, AHLA Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD, April 13-15, 2016
- Presenter, AHLA Institute on Medicare and Medicaid Payment Issues, Baltimore, MD, March 25-27, 2015
- November 12, 2021
- Mandatory Electronic Filing and PRRB Rule Changes Are Effective November 1, 2021; Join Us for a Webinar on November 18, 2021October 29, 2021
- August 13, 2021
- PRRB Announces New Address, Mandatory Electronic Filing, and Significant Proposed Changes to Rules, Inviting Comments on or before July 30, 2021June 17, 2021
- March 25, 2021